Exchange Your Old Retirement Solutions for New OnesDecember 5, 2018
Six Steps for Improving Your Financial Wellness in 2019December 12, 2018
It’s that time of year again! The stockings are hung and the halls are decked— but, is your home decorated with proper safety measures to ensure your holiday is not a Christmas crisis?
For the 12 days of Christmas, we are sharing 12 tips to protect your home through the holiday season.
No partridge or pear tree required.
- When decorating, be sure to keep a clear walking path free of clutter to avoid safety hazards when guests are over.
- Practice appropriate ladder safety procedures when hanging decorations.
- Childproof your décor— Keep heavy items or small choking hazards out of reach of children.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets. This can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire. Two out of every five (40%) of home Christmas tree fires was associated with lighting or electrical equipment.
- Make sure live Christmas trees are watered daily. Be sure to properly distribute trees after the holidays. Note that dry trees are a fire hazard.
- Candles help make the home cozy during the holidays— but be aware of where they are located in respect to other decorations. The top three days for home candle fires were Christmas, New Year’s Day and New Year’s Eve.
- When not in use, make a habit of unplugging space heaters, electric blankets, and wax melts to avoid potential fire hazards.
- Space Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn. Be strategic and safe when warming up this holiday season.
- Insure your home is safe- Review your insurance policy to make sure you are properly insured this holiday season. Duncan Financial Group can help find a home, umbrella, and even drone policy to protect all of your valuables this holiday season.
- Make sure you only use weatherproof electrical devices when decorating outdoors.
- Adjust furniture to ensure that no heating systems are blocked.
- Inspect all lights for loose or exposed wires before using.
Give your loved ones the gift of safety throughout all 12 days of Christmas. Following these tips can help you have a holly and jolly holiday and carry you safely into the New Year.
Duncan Financial Group would like to wish you and your loved ones a happy and safe holiday season!